In October 1927 the bi-monthly journal Zur Pädagogik Rudolf Steiners was issued for the first time as publication outlet for the association for a free school system, called Verein für ein freies Schulwesen in Stuttgart (Association for a Free School System in Stuttgart). The editor in chief at that time was Dr. Caroline von Heydebrand, an anthroposophical teacher who was in charge of a class at the newly founded Waldorf School in 1919.
In the 1927/28 school year, about 1,000 children already attended the Stuttgart Waldorf School, and in other schools in Essen, Hamburg, Hanover and Jena (curative education) there was a total of around another 1,000 students. There were already Waldorf Schools in Poland, Hungary, Norway, Switzerland, the Netherlands and England.
Since 1932 the journal is named Erziehungskunst. In 1950 the German Federation of Waldorf Schools became the publisher. Since then the magazine has been issued monthly.
Starting in 1970, the pages of the monthly issues were counted continuously. In 1987, there were 970 pages in total. In 1988, 1999 and 2008 the magazine was redesigned. Since 2009 all parents at German Waldorf schools receive the magazine through the school.